City of Karlstad: Regular City Council Meeting
Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.
Meeting Called to Order By: Deputy Mayor Pete Kautzman
Present: P. Kautzman, S. Dufault, C. Nordin, G. Hultgren
Absent: M. Wade
Guests: Todd Dufault, Gretchen Baker, Robert Seado, Jeremy Hadrava
OATH OF OFFICE: The Oath of Office was administered to Councilmember elect George Hultgren, by City Clerk/Treasurer Sue Dufault.
- Minutes – Motion by C. Nordin, second by G. Hultgren, to approve the minutes
of the December 5, 2016 regular meeting as presented. All ayes/carried.
- Claims – Motion by C. Nordin, second by G. Hultgren, to approve the audit of
and authorize payment of the claims for December 13, 2016, December 16, 2016 and
December 30, 2016 as presented. All ayes/carried.
- Tri-County EMS:
- Todd Dufault, Tri-County EMS Board member spoke on behalf of the board in
regards to relocating their EMS facility to the possible fire hall expansion. He
stated that at this time they are not interested in moving in to the possible fire hall
- Mayor Term – Nick Amb has resigned as Mayor of the City of Karlstad, effective
January 2, 2017. The City council needs to accept Nick’s resignation and
then declare a vacancy. Motion by C. Nordin, second by G. Hultgren, to accept Mayor
Nick Amb’s resignation and declare a vacancy. All ayes/carried.
The City council is not required to hold an election when there is less than two years
left on the term. The City council can appoint a mayor to finish the term or hold an
election. Pete suggested that the City council advertise for two weeks for the position
and ask that they submit a letter of intent by February 10th at 5 p.m. at the Karlstad
City office. At the Regular Council meeting being held on February 13th at 7 p.m.,
each applicant will have an opportunity to speak briefly to the Council. After
reviewing the applications the Council will make a decision in regards to whom to
appoint as Mayor to finish Nick Amb’s term. Motion by G. Hultgren, Second by C.
Nordin, to advertise for the mayor position and interview and appoint a mayor at the
February 13th meeting. All ayes/carried.
- City Business:
- Designating the Deputy Mayor, the Official Depository and the Official
Publication for 2017. Resolution #1-525-17 was introduced by
- Hultgren and moved for adoption, to appoint Pete Kautzman as the
Deputy Mayor, Prime Security Bank as the Official Depository; and the North
Star News as the Official Publication, second by C. Nordin, to approve.
- Robert Seado Senior Real Estate Representative MN DOT:
- Temporary easement for Hwy. 59 overlay in the fall of 2017. Robert presented the
council with the supporting documents for the temporary easement that MN DOT
is requesting in front of the community center. The easement would be for a two
year duration. The city would receive compensation in the amount of $500 for the
easement. Motion by C. Nordin, second by G. Hultgren, to grant the easement to
MN DOT. All ayes/carried.
- Jeremy Hadrava MN DOT:
- Talked about the extension of the sidewalk on the south end of Hwy 59 to
Grant street. He gave the council a map showing the extension. He felt the
cost would be somewhere around $11,000. MN DOT would possibly share in
some of the cost. He will get back to the council with those figures.
- Karlstad Park Board:
- Additional Transfer of funds to cover Debt Service Fund:
- The Debt Service Fund will need an additional $20,000 transferred from sewer to
cover this fund. This fund is almost paid off and our auditor explained that this
fund is not taking in enough tax revenue at the end to cover the debt service.
- Applications for Employment: Review: The city received 11 applications for
employment for the maintenance position. The council reviewed them and was able to
agree on which applicants they would like to interview. They felt they wanted a full
council before the notification went out. Sue will have Mike Wade stop in and review
- CHS Property: Roger Malm Deed information
- League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust: (Council copies)
- Property/Casualty 2016 Dividend $14,590.
- Fitness Center Proceeds:
- Total proceeds for the year 2016 were $14,140. The City (40%) received
$5,656.00 and Jana Kraulik (60%) received $8,484.00.
- Kami Klegstad:
- 1st Time Homeowners Housing Incentive Request: Kami has purchased Amy
Knutson’s house on Main St. and is requesting our housing incentive for 1st time
homeowners. Motion by G. Hultgren, second by C. Nordin, to approve the
request. All ayes/carried.
- Ben & Erica Reese:
- Sewer Extension: Sue spoke with some of the residents that would be affected by
this extension and they were not interested in the assessment at this time.
- The next Regular scheduled meeting will be held on:
February 13, 2017 – 7:00 P.M.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at: 8:45 p.m.
Respectfully Submitted By: Sue Dufault